Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Spray Undercoating

The Abyssal Dwarf Army Box is perfect to use as a spray undercoating container. It's nice and big, and the thick cardboard will make sure it doesn't seep through to the surface underneath.
I've got my cans of spray undercoat ready and well-shaken (about 5 minutes of the maracas dance should do it). I've got two brands - the Citadel Black Undercoat Spray and the White Knights Squirts Flat Black Primer. The hefty price-tag is still on my Citadel spray (AU$22), which is the main reason I switched to the more affordable White Knight Squirt at AU$8.
I chose to do a black undercoat as I wanted my army to look suitably dark and evil, which makes black the optimum choice over white or grey.



So the next thing I do is arrange the units into little clusters or circles, to maximise the use of the spray - I don't like wasting the spray undercoat (at AU$22 a can I can't afford to!), so I've found this to be the most efficient way of doing it.
So I cluster them up, spray them, wait for it to dry (which takes less than 5 minutes on a warm sunny day) then reposition them to expose the facing with the least coverage. This usually takes about three rounds - fronts, backs, then tops of the models.
I'm not too fussed about getting perfect coverage on each model, as long as the paint holds onto the model when I'm basecoating with my brush then it's all good.



And now they're back on the shelf, primed, and ready for the brush! I'm probably going to spend a few days trying to decide on a colour-scheme, and I'll post the photos of the test-models I come with along the way.



Sync out.

No comments:

Post a Comment