Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Onslaught Awaits - Part 2

Continued from my previous post.

MANTIC GAMES - KINGS OF WAR


The first and most important discovery was Mantic Games.
I started browsing their website after they announced their upcoming Sci-Fi game, Warpath (which I also plan on having a go at!).

The Price is Right
Anyways, on a whim I decided I would see how much their army boxes cost - everything on their website is in pounds so I had to do a conversion. After double and triple checking the Mantic website and my calculations, I was amazed. It wasn't possible... how could this from Mantic, cost roughly the same as this from Games Workshop?
Well, that took care of the cost issue. I could have a massive fantasy army for a fraction of what I thought it would cost.

Mantic's Dwarf Mega-Army - 99 pounds (~AU$160)
Games Workshop's Dwarf Battalion - AU$150

Get Them on the Table
After checking out a few reviews for the models and boxsets, I discovered that the Mantic range are really designed for big armies, and huge battles. Hence the models are designed to be fast to assemble and paint - not too many things to glue together and minimal hard-to-paint places.

Play by the Rules
Clicking through their site, I found they had the Kings of War rules and army lists free to download. The rulebook is only 16 pages - and after my first read through I felt like I had a solid understanding of the rules and how the game played. This is a game I could actually learn to play - so there's hope for my models to actually see some table top warfare instead of sitting the cupboard for their sad lives!

Download the Kings of War Rules and Army Books here!


DEVLAN MUD


The second discovery I made prior to discovering Mantic Games, while not as important, was still a driving reason for me deciding to start the project. Devlan Mud. I can't believe I hadn't tried this earlier.
This makes army painting fast, and gets my models to a personally acceptable table-top standard very quickly. This helped me reduce my minutes-per-mini from about 45-60 miniatures per model to about 30 miniatures per model, less if I batch paint! Times that by the 100+ models required for a decent fantasy army and that's a significant amount of time!


IT BEGINS

Well, there's no excuse now! In a curious turn of events, the planets have aligned and this blog will document my journey into fantasy wargaming!

Sync out.

No comments:

Post a Comment