Monday, August 29, 2011

Into the Abyss - Part 1

After my discovery of Devlan Mud, I was all set to go. I already had an idea of the pricing from Mantic Games, so all I needed to do to commit to the project now was to pick an army!


THE DARKNESS CALLS


The two armies that immediately caught my eye when going through the Mantic range were Undead and Abyssal Dwarfs.
I've always liked Undead, which has has manifested in my love for zombie movies and video games - and more recently The Walking Dead TV series.
But something kept pulling me to the Abyssal Dwarfs. The army has a lot more personality and character than an Undead army, and I think aligns with my style a little more.
So in the end, I settled on the Abyssal Dwarfs. They cost more per model than an Undead Army would, but I'm sure I'd enjoy painting them a lot more. After having a quick look over the army list, I found that I already had some units in my collection at home that I could add to the army, so that's a nice little bonus.


UNKNOWN

Tempest 3's Best Army - Mantic Abyssal Dwarfs (click to enlarge)
Creating an army list is the part of army wargaming I hate. I should make it very clear now that I haven't had ANY experience in fantasy wargaming, or Kings of War, and have limited experience in WH40K (sci-fi army wargaming). The bulk of my wargaming experience is from MERCS, a sci-fi skirmish game.
I'm not a competitive wargamer either, so I'd mostly be looking at creating an army that was fun to put together, and IF I ever got it on the table, would provide fun games for me and my opponents, win or lose.
Hence, with my limited ability to create an army list, I decided on three factors that would determine the units in my army:
      1) Financial cost
      2) Good looking units
      3) Varied range of different models


TRUST IN THE MAKER

Abyssal Dwarf Army - 64 pounds (~AU$100)
After checking out the Mantic Abyssal Dwarf Army Deals, these would definitely meet my above mentioned criteria. Their boxsets provide a good range of miniatures, at a great price - and looking at the Abyssal Dwarf Army List, the Army Boxes cover most of the infantry units and provides a solid foundation for an army.
I opted for Mantic's original Abyssal Dwarf Army Deal, as the other sets include Berserkers - I already have the Avatars of War Dwarf Berserkers set sitting at home, crying out to get some paint on them.
The Abyssal Dwarf Army Deals aren't as well priced as the other armies, but I read somewhere that it was because they included more metal components. It's still cheaper than what a Games Workshop fantasy army would cost though, and I realised that I was happy to pay more for an Abyssal Dwarf Army, than pay less for say, an Undead Army.


With some important decisions made, it was time to put my plans into action! Alas, the road to damnation is not always a smooth one...

To be continued...
Sync out.

No comments:

Post a Comment