Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Into the Abyss - Part 2

TROUBLE CALLS

I was all set to order from a local stockist, when work collegue called with some news confirming rumours of company restructure - which meant potential lay-offs.
With my job under threat, the first thing to go are the toy soldiers - that's just the way of it. After getting all excited putting through the order, I was forced to cancel it. With a heavy heart, I put my dreams of fantasy wargaming and an awesome Abyssal Dwarf army on the shelf.
I spent the next few days avoiding my usual online haunts - miniatures/wargaming websites and forums. The disappointment was still weighing on me, which was coupled with the stress and panic of potentially losing my job.



A TWIST OF FATE

Fast forward a week, and the initial panic and speculation died down a little. My position wasn't secure yet, but the dust was starting to settle and it looked like I was going to be in the clear.
I had gotten back on the horse, and was casually browsing the local Australian wargaming forums when I noticed someone selling the Abyssal Dwarf Army Box, as well as the Lords Conclave for a VERY reasonable price - much cheaper than the RRP, second-hand but on sprue. I snapped up the offer and the initial excitement I felt for the project came flooding back!

Mwahahaha! My evil plan begins!
That night I looked over our credit card bills, and found a payment to a miniatures company that I definitely didn't make. I thought we'd been scammed or I was being overcharged for a previous purchase or something.
I checked with my wife, and she comes clean - apparently after telling her what happened with my job and having to cancel my army order, she didn't buy the handbag I promised her. Instead she jumped on eBay and used the money to surprise me with the Abyssal Dwarf Army box!


AND SO WE MARCH

Forward, minions!
Two days ago, I was moping about, feeling cheated by the hand I was dealt, but now - well, now I've got two lots of Mantic Abyssal Dwarf army boxes coming in, as well as the Dark Lords Conclave!
I bought my wife the bag anyway, just for being awesome, and I compromised  by promising not to make any videogame or miniatures purchases until Christmas (when I plan on picking up a starter box of Mantic's Forgefathers!).
The 125+ models incoming should keep me PLENTLY busy until then!


Sync out.

No comments:

Post a Comment